You must have heard about pre poo and wondered what is pre poo. This natural hair care treatment helps contribute to having healthier and longer hair. If you are serious about your natural hair, this is a treatment that you should understand thoroughly.
We are aware that there are different ways of representing this in writing, however, we would adopt ‘pre poo’. Let us move on to answer the question ‘what is pre poo’.
Introduction to Pre poo
Pre poo is a treatment you apply to your hair before applying shampoo or conditioner. Pre poo is an abbreviation of the term ‘pre-shampoo’. When you hear someone talk about pre-pooing they are referring to this treatment.
Reasons you should Pre poo your hair
1. It prevents hair damage:
Damage is done to the hair (curly hair) as a result of the hair cuticle expanding when it is wet and contracting when it is dry, which is bound to happen as long as you wash your hair or your hair gets wet. The damage is not immediately noticeable but over time it shows up in the form of hair breakage, limp hair, hair not retaining moisture and many more. We can’t prevent water from touching the hair but we can reduce the damage by pre-pooing.
2. Your hair needs moisture:
Hair needs moisturizing, especially curly ones. Weather changes can leave your hair dry. Prepooing keeps your hair moisturized and also replaces lost moisture due to changes in weather.
3. Improves hair texture and makes the hair shine
Due to its oil restorative ability, pre-pooing restores the natural oils responsible for your hair texture and will also leave you with softer, shinier hair.
4. Easy Detangling
You will agree that dry hair is hard to detangle. However, when you take your hair through a relaxing moisturizing journey through prepoo, you will find it easier to detangle your hair. It also prevents your hair from feeling dry after you wash with shampoo.
Products you can use to Prepoo.
- Olive Oil: This product is great for people whose hair needs a lot of moisture as it is a heavy oil. Stick to the extra virgin version of this oil as extra virgin olive oil retains most of its natural properties which are beneficial for your hair.
- Coconut Oil: This product is great for pre-pooing especially in warmer weather as it is easier to massage your hair and scalp within its liquid form. Colder temperatures can cause the coconut oil to harden.
- Conditioner or Conditioner and Oil mixture: Yes, although you are supposed to use conditioner after you shampoo your hair, you can also use it for pre-poo and you can add your own natural oil to it.
- DIY Pre poo recipes: There are lots of DIY Pre poo recipes available on the internet, interestingly you can find some of the ingredients in your kitchen but ensure you read and follow the instructions strictly and carefully.
- Shea Butter: Many use Shea Butter for various things and in most cases, it is used for the body and hair but did you know that you can use it as a pre poo product too? Now, there are various DIY Shea Butter recipes but I will share the simplest one with you.
Shea Butter Recipe for Pre poo
- Take ¼ cup of Shea butter and melt it in a pot/saucepan.
- Once the Shea butter completely takes the pot off the cooker and allow it cool down a bit.
- Once it is warm enough, massage the Shea butter into your hair, ensuring that you massage every part of your hair and scalp
- As you finish massaging the Shea butter into your hair, tie your hair up into a towel and leave the Shea Butter in your for about 30 minutes before you wash your hair with shampoo.
You can use most natural oils for your pre-poo treatment but be sure to use natural hair oil that suits your hair.
How to Prepoo
You know what pre-poo is about, you know the products to use, now let’s talk about how to pre-poo.
Step 1: Divide your hair into sections, the length or thickness of your hair does not matter here just divide it into sections. The reason behind this is to cover every inch of your hair, from the scalp to the hair ends thoroughly in your pre-poo product.
Step 2: Take each section and massage in thoroughly with your pre-poo product.
For oil and conditioner pre-poo, massage your scalp and hair with the product thoroughly before moving to a new section.
For protein pre-poo or homemade Pre-poo recipes follow the instructions given on the product or on the site you got the information on.
Step 3: When you are done covering your entire hair and scalp with the pre-poo product, you can put on your bonnet or scarf and leave for 20 minutes or overnight for best results.
For DIY Pre-poo recipes follow the instructions that accompany the recipe.
That’s all there is to pre-pooing, easy and straightforward.
Was this helpful?